Low Maintenance Gluten Free Biscuits
These buttermilk biscuits are buttery, flaky, gluten free, and utterly delicious! It took me FOREVER to start experimenting with gluten free bread because it can be really overwhelming and intimidating to dive in. Plus, baking is basically chemistry... which... ew. Am I right? But I promise, these biscuits taste almost exactly like the real deal and they are so simple, you're going to want to make them all the time.
First off, these do not require yeast or kneading... do I have your attention now?! All you need is a good quality gluten free all purpose flour, baking powder, a stick of butter, salt, sugar, and some buttermilk. I use King Arthur's Measure for Measure flour (see below).
I have always had good luck with King Arthur's gluten free products, and this flour has always given me the best results with gluten free baking. No, this is not a sponsored post - just my honest opinion.
Simply mix all ingredients, aside from the stick of butter, in a mixing bowl until you get a soft batter. In a separate dish, melt your stick of butter in the microwave. Get out either an 8x8 or 9x9 square brownie pan and pour your melted butter into the bottom of the pan. Yes, pour the whole stick of melted butter in there. Don't be shy! Then, with a spatula, spread your batter over the butter until it is evenly coating the pan and hitting all sides. At this point, the batter should essentially be swimming in the melted butter. With your spatula, cut even squares in the batter. Then throw it in your 450° oven for 20 minutes, and BAM buttery and delicious gluten free biscuits. We love to eat these for breakfast with some jam or with dinner as a side.
Just a tip, not all gluten free flours are created equal. Do your own research and find what works best for you! Our favorite products may not be your favorite. With transitioning to a gluten free life, it is a lot of trial and error. Try not to get frustrated or overwhelmed and just enjoy the ride. Take it day by day and know it gets easier with time and practice!
Enjoy! If you decide to try out this recipe please comment below and tell me how it turned out and follow for more tips and tricks in fielding a gluten free lifestyle.
GLUTEN FREE BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
o 2 ¼ cups gluten free all-purpose flour
o 2 cups buttermilk
o 1 stick butter
o 4 tsp baking powder
o 4 tsp sugar
o 2 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 450° degrees.
2. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
3. Next, add the buttermilk and mix all of the ingredients together until a moist dough is formed.
4. Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl, and then pour it into an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish
5. Place the dough on top of the melted butter and use a spatula to spread it evenly in the bottom of the pan, until the dough is touching all sides.
6. Cut the unbaked dough into 9 evenish squares.
7. Bake for 20 or so minutes (gluten free bread does not always brown the way normal bread does. Watch it very closely to be sure it doesn't burn! 20 minutes exactly gave us very soft and doughy biscuits!)
8. Enjoy for breakfast, lunch or dinner! These biscuits are the perfect companion to any meal.